We will probably start colonizing Mars in the future and here you can check out a suggestion of what it might look like.

Advertisements

The city goes by the name “Nüwa” which according to the proposal from the architectural studio ABIBOO would become the capital among Mars’ first five cities. It is estimated that a total population of about one million people would live in the five cities put together.

Nüwa has a population of 250,000 people. Its name has its roots in the mythological Chinese goddess that is the protector of Humans, who melted five stones to give robust societal pillars. A steep terrain offers the opportunity to create a vertical city inserted into the rock, protected from radiation and meteorites while having access to indirect sunlight.

The five locations and cities are chosen to improve resilience, long-term easy access to resources, and to add mobility options to the citizens of Mars. For example, Abalos City is located in the North Pole to leverage access to ice and Marineris City is located in the most extensive canyon of the solar system. Although the project divides human settlement into five cities, it offers a highly-scalable and flexible solution that can be implemented in many locations across Mars.

The conceptual city of Nüwa is on the slope of one of the Martian cliffs with abundant water access, located at Tempe Mensa.

The oxygen consumed is intended to be produced by vegetation and the energy is to be harnessed from the sun. The food is supposed to be 90 percent plant-based. The remaining 10 percent is intended to consist of insects and laboratory-grown meat, to use meat from animals other than insects is considered too unsustainable.

ABIBOO says that a city like Nüwa could start building on March 2054 and be ready for occupancy sometime around 2100. Here above is an introductory film to Nüwa and below you can check out a longer presentation where you talk a little more about it all.